Using RBdigital For Streaming Services
Streaming Services: RBdigital
The Waterbury Public Library offers a wide collection of audiobooks, ebooks, movies, documentaries, concert films, online classes and test prep that are downloadable for free with your library card through a service called RBdigital.
What you need to get started:
- A valid Waterbury Public Library card
- An account at RBdigital (library card and email address required – you must register through the Waterbury Public Library website)
- The RBdigital app (to download and read magazines offline on your tablet or phone)
- The RBdigital Media Manager for Windows or Mac (to download audiobooks to your computer and transfer them to an MP3 player)
Note: Only Non-protected audiobooks can be downloaded and transferred to portable listening devices.
Listening/Reading/Watching on Your Smartphone, Tablet or Computer:
- You will need to register for an account before you can log into the app. You cannot register through the app – you need to register through the Waterbury Public Library website first.
- Go to the RBdigital eBooks and Audio website, select Register in the top right and complete the form. Use your Library Card #. Your PIN is the last five digits of your card #. If you’ve forgotten your library card # give us a call at the library: 244-7036 and we can help you.
Get the RBdigital App
- Go to your device’s app store and install the RBdigital app.
- Open it and select USA. Enter your RBdigital username. Tap Next.
- Enter your RBdigital password and tap Next. The app will connect to your account.
Borrow and use eBooks / Audio Books / Magazines
- Find and borrow items:
- To browse all titles, tap/click the three horizontal bars in the upper left hand corner and choose Books or Magazines.
- To search or browse by genre, audience and more, tap/click on the magnifying glass icon and choose a format. Filter options will update according to your selection.
- Tap/click on a title of interest to learn more.
- Tap/click on Check Out to borrow it or Hold to place a hold.
- To open a borrowed title, tap/click on the three horizontal lines in the top left of the screen and tap/click on Checked Out.
- Tap/click on Play, Download or Read below a title’s cover, or tap/click on the item’s cover and then tap Play or Read.
Tip: The first time you tap Play (for Audiobooks) or Read (for Magazines and eBooks), the title will automatically download. You can ensure that titles will download only on WiFi (as opposed to your data plan) by going to Menu > Settings > WiFi Only and selecting On.
Stream Movies, Documentaries & Concerts
RBdigital streams the following:
- Acorn TV (British TV shows and Movies)
- The Great Courses (Online Educational Lectures)
- IndieFlix (Independent Movies)
- Stingray Qello Concerts (Live Music Concert)
- Pongalo (Spanish TV shows and movies)
These services are borrowed differently than digital books. Each patron may use one 7-day pass for one service per week. This cap keeps the Library’s total cost manageable. A pass gives you unlimited access to that service’s entire content for one week. (Go ahead, binge watch!) Once you select a pass, you will not be able to borrow from another service until one week has passed.
Please note that in all the services EXCEPT Acorn TV, you cannot browse or preview content before selecting that pass. Once you click Access, then Accept, that is your pass for the week, and you can then browse the content. In the Acorn TV service, you can browse the titles before choosing the pass for this service. When you click on a title, it will take you to the description for that show. From that page, click on the red “borrow” button to start your Acorn TV pass. This gives you access to ALL the Acorn TV content, not just the show you selected.
To select a streaming service for a 7 day watching pass:
Find and stream items:
- Tap the three horizontal bars in the upper left hand corner of the RBdigital app and choose Entertainment
- Choose the streaming service you are interested in.
- Please note, only Acorn TV will allow you to search through their offerings BEFORE you request a 7 day pass. When you click on a title, it will take you to the description for that show. From that page, click on the red “borrow” button to start your Acorn TV pass. This gives you access to ALL the Acorn TV content, not just the show you selected.
- Click on the checkout button. You will have that service for 7 days and can watch as much as you’d like during that time.
For More Help:
- Contact RBdigital Tech Support
- RBdigital Help Page
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 877-772-8346 (toll free) available 6:30 AM to 5:30 PM Central time
Transfer an Audio Book to Your iPod
- Install the Media Manager software:
- Go to (https://waterburyvt.rbdigital.com/#/help/support) to download the appropriate Audio Desktop App – Media Manager for your computer system (Windows or Mac)
- When the software opens, fill out the login screen:
- Country = USA
- enter the username & password you created during registration.
- Library = Waterbury Public Library
- you may choose to have the software save your login information & auto-login for future use.
Upon login, the software’s checked out books area will be blank unless you have already checked out a book.
- Find an Audio Book you’d like to listen to.
- You can do this in the Media Manager itself by clicking on the “Browse For a Title Online” icon in the upper right hand of the Media Manager. You will be taken to the Waterbury Public Library RBdigital website where you can check out your books.
- After you have checked out your books (don’t download them from the website), return to the Media Manager.
- If you don’t see your titles in the Media Manager, click the “refresh” button, located near the top of the screen.
- Connect your iPod to the computer, wait for your computer to recognize it (usually opens iTunes).
- Click the Download & Transfer button for the book. If you had already downloaded the book to the computer (by selecting Play earlier or allowing the software to auto-download new checkouts), the button will be “Transfer.”
- Select your iPod if prompted by a “device picker” box (some computers skip this).
- A progress bar comes up. If the book was not already downloaded it will download the parts of the book, then transfer to the device. Do not disconnect or cancel out of the box until it says “complete.”