Download eBooks & Audio Books with Libby
Digital eBooks & Audio Books: OverDrive / Libby
The Waterbury Public Library offers a wide collection of eBooks & Audio Books that are downloadable for free with your library card. We use the OverDrive/Libby platform for our e-books. There is a 3 book at a time limit.
Getting started with the Libby app
The Libby app is the easiest way to get started with digital e-books from our library. Libby is available for Android, iOS (iPhone/iPad/iPod touch), and Windows 10.
Step 1 – Installing the App
Install the Libby (by Overdrive) app from your device’s app store.
Step 2 – Signing in for the first time:
- Open Libby and search for Green Mountain Library Consortium.
- After you find GMLC you will be asked to choose a location – that is when you choose Waterbury Public Library.
- Enter your Library Card # (if you have forgotten your number, give us a call. If you know your number but the number is not recognized, your card might be expired.)
- Enter your PIN – the last 5 digits of your library card #
Step 3 – Look for eBooks or Audio Books!
After you sign in you will be brought to the main screen of the GMLC collection.
Search for books by clicking on the magnifying glass icon in the upper left hand corner.
You can filter your results by clicking on the “more options” link on the search page.
Step 4 – Reading or Listening to Books
Borrowed titles appear on your Shelf and download to the app automatically when you’re connected to Wi-Fi, so you can read them when you’re offline.
From your Shelf, you can:
- Tap Open book or Open eBook/Audiobook to start reading or listening to a title.
Downloading to Kindle
You can send most borrowed books to Kindle (available in the U.S. only). To send a book to Kindle, you must first set your preference for Kindle (you can always change this back):
- Go to your Preferences.
- Tap Compatibility
- Choose Kindle.
- Tap Apply Preferences
- Now when you search for ebooks Libby will only show the books that are available through Kindle.
- Borrow a book.
- When you go to open the book you will be asked to read the book in Kindle or Libby. Choose Kindle.
- You’ll be taken to Amazon’s website to finish getting the book.
- If you’re signed into your Amazon account, verify the “Deliver to:” device and tap Get library book.
- If you’re not signed into your Amazon account, tap Get library book, sign in, and choose a device to deliver the book to.
More help for the Libby App
If you need more help using the Libby App, please check out the Libby Help page.